Thursday, November 11, 2010

For our Boys

Today is a day set aside to remember those who have put their lives on the line for our country. Growing up, I never was particularly patriotic. My maternal grandfather served in the Navy and my paternal grandfather served in the Air Force, but the military was never a big part of my life.


You're probably wondering about now about the definite patriotic feel of my blog. Just over three years ago, I met my husband. He was in the Army Reserves, but it was never more that a once monthly annoyance. Then, one month after he proposed, they dropped a bombshell-he was being shipped out to Iraq. This wasn't supposed to happen. I was supposed to be planning my wedding with my finace, not wondering if I was ever going to see him again.


It was a long, miserable year, but we got married when he came home on leave and when he was home for good, we got started on that whole newly wed thing.

Life's gotten back to normal again and the Army is back to taking only its normal one weekend a month. While I'm still not the most patriotic person out there, I get it a little better. I understand what our soldiers give up when they sign on that dotted line. And with laptops and cell phones, I know I had it much easier than most of our vets and their families.

So regardless of whether you feel like the military has made any impact on your life, take the time to thank a veteran and their families today. I know I'm saying thanks to my hero today!

No comments:

Post a Comment