Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Fashion and Film: The Mummy

Growing up, I was fascinated by ancient Egypt. (Seriously, even more than I love Downton Abbey right now.) And, not surprisingly I loved the movie The Mummy. It's set in 1926 and has some of yummy fashions and old school archaeology lovelies. Oh, and the plot-someone accidentally awakens a 3000 year old mummy bent on bringing his girlfriend back to life and taking over the world. Ok, on to some fashion.


The heroine Evelyn is not only a brunette, but a librarian so I love her. And I cannot get enough of her glasses! Seriously! I want a pair.


Adventuring we go!


Yummy Egyptian style jewelry.


Again with the glasses!


A yummy suit set.


And look at the shoes! Eeep!


Escaping the mummy.


Wide brimmed hats are a must in the Egyptian sun.

There was a huge Egyptian revival in the 1920s (and also one later when Cleopatra came out). The Vintage Baroness has a lovely post on the 1920s Egyptomania, so I won't go there but here are some period archaeologists to further inspire you.





Every once in a while, a lovely vintage Egyptian piece will pop up on etsy, but they are always snatched up! One day, I be the one doing the snatching.

6 comments:

  1. This post made me smile....definitely a bit of a guilty pleasure movie for me! I grew up with a bit of an Egypt fascination too. (Which is why I'm not ashamed to admit that I enjoy the series based on Egyptiam mythology that Rick Riordan wrote, even though they're technically kids' books!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved her outfits in this move, especially the librarian ensemble. That skirt and blouse was so cute! I bought an amazing necklace from a belly dancer a while back. It's a huge collar made of glass drops and coins from the UAE. It's modern but looks so Egyptian. I should blog it one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the Mummy, such a good movie and good costumes. I really enjoy that last photo, as it is not only a woman in jodphurs, but that is a seriously huge fish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wanted to be an Egyptologist from about age 8 to age 15! Recently, the Franklin Institute here in Philadelphia had a WORLD mummy exhibit--there were Egyptian, S. American, Chinese, S. Pacific, and European mummies. It. Was. Awesome.

    I really liked the first film in this series a lot more than any of the others. Evie was a heroine I could get behind. Sure, she got in a bit of trouble and needed saving, but she never lost her cool nor was she reduced to hysterics. Kinda loved that.

    (P.S. I did a review of Midnight in Paris over on my blog Down the Retro Rabbit Hole... not a lot of pictures to pull from but a few good shots of Marion Cotillard's 1920s outfits!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you: Evie's fashion is sooooo adorable in The Mummy. Thanks for the link to my post, too. I actually ended up publishing an e-article out of that post, but the link isn't publicly accessible. Oh well, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) I also have a bit of a fascination with ancient Egypt and the turn of the century. Mostly because of the Amelia Peabody novels by Elizabeth Peters. They are very well written mysteries with a female heroine, and of course some romance. Fun!

    ReplyDelete