Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I need a party dress

Valentine's Day is right around the corner and I'm going out to see another show at the end of February so I've decided to make a 1950s party dress.






Lovely aren't they? I've opted to go with Butterick B5556 a '55 reprint.

And I picked up 5 yds of black taffeta with a lovely velvet print on it for 50% off. I'm doing the version with the collar.


So, of course, I have to research some black 50s party dresses. 


 


Black velvet dress available here.


 Looks like my dress will be in good company! Now off to go work on the muslin.

7 comments:

  1. ooooooooooo.....i love the pink-black dress

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the black one with the bow in front, its different! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Simplicity 1192. I am thrilled that you "need" a party dress, but then I have always been a sucker for that bateau neckline....dreamy.

    I would like a party dress too please:)but first I need a party..hmm maybe for our anniversary this year..better go prepare the husband:)

    Can't wait to see your muslin, you will share with us yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already took it apart. :( I only did the bodice and it actually fit really well. I'll try and remember to take pictures next time I do a muslin. Usually I'm in the zone and forget.

      Delete
  4. What fun little black dresses! Hmmmm....
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh, fun! That last one is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete