Bring on those dressy fabrics! Metalics are a great option! They look glamorous and are in style all year round. Available here.
Chiffon is a great fabric option as is velvet for trim or the whole dress! Dark jewel tones will make you the bell of any party. Available here.
A wiggle dress in a great brocade is always classy and sassy. And they are a great way to be sexy without being over exposed. Available here.
Looking to be unique? Go for a bold silhouette like a drop waist! Available here.
Stand out with a unique neckline. Off the shoulder dresses make your neck look long and thin. Available here.
A cummerbund is a nice dressy detail. Tie one around and existing dress for a different look. Available here.
I've seen quite a few patterns where a wiggle dress has a full sheer overskirt. They look super fun. Plus it's a great way to help get one dress through several events. Available here.
Some other things to consider:
- Hats-look for special details like beading and rhinestones. Hair flowers and feathers are also great.
- Jewelry-go for bolder pieces such as a great pair of earrings. Pearls are always great too!
- Shoes-go tall. go pointy. go peep toe. go fabulous! Stick with a coordinating color for a period appropriate look or go with a pop of color for a modern twist. Also consider shoe clips to jazz up a pair already in your closet.
- Hair- a sleek updo looks classic. A French twist or a large, low bun look great.
- Gloves and a small clutch complete the look. Go for a metallic, beaded or velvet bag to keep with the dressy look.
I don't go to many dressy occasions, but if I did, I'd wear one of these: (1) (2)