Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pinspiration: Vintage and Pants

This week's Pinterest inspiration is pants. Original source photos from the 30s, 40s and 50s are great but sometimes it's even better to get inspiration from bloggers especially if they are wearing commercially available pants or made them from a pattern widely available.

....Plus my new Freddies of Pinewood jeans arrived so I've got pants on the brain!


 First off is Jessica from Chronically Vintage. This darling ensemble is reminiscent of a 50s casual look. I love most of her pieces are modern! Just goes to show what you can do with the right cut of clothing and a cute hair do!


This is another cute look from Jessica. Overalls were a staple for gals on the farm and British Land Girls. I love that she paired it with a bright plaid shirt to bring attention to her face.






As a busy mom of two, Brittany of Va-Voom vintage knows how practical trousers can be! Cute but comfortable shoes and a hand knit cardigan top off these lovely 40s style trousers by Hey Day.


New-to-me blogger Emma of The Fiercest Lilliputain brings a western vibe to her outfit with a plaid shirt but adds a bit of class and sexiness with those fabulous red heals!


Tasha of By Gum By Golly looks great in these great 40s pants made from Simplicity 3688. I've heard rave reviews of this pattern and Tasha's pair makes me want to make some right now!


The lovely Solanah of Vixen Vintage looks amazing in these 50s gold pants especially with her pink and teal Christmas tree. *sigh* I wish I could get away with such fabulous things!


And here she is again in a more casual look featuring 1930s trousers she made and a great mustard cardigan. 


Last, but not least, is Lauren of Wearing History in a blouse made from her Smooth Sailing pattern. So casual yet chic! I made a pair of these pants way back in 2011 at a point in my sewing career when I had no business making pants plus I've lost 40 or so pounds since then. I really want to give this pattern another go this year!

Do you rock a retro pant or are you more of a skirt kind of a gal? If you have a favorite pant outfit, please leave a link to your blog or post it to my facebook page! I'd love to do another post with all of your pant loveliness!

20 comments:

  1. Well I find skirts easy to do....only recently faced my fear and bought trouser pattern. Made up some shorts...just need to finish a few 'sewing challenges' and start on the trousers. Its nice to be able to eliminate certain problems I have with RTW trousers. (I'm short in the leg and my hip to waist ration is so distinct I have to take waists in all the time. And still find the trousers chaife my legs). So being able to add to the hips and minus off the waist at the start is a bonus. Plus not a fan of front openings prefer side or back on trousers which you don't get with modern trousers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love skirts too but I have to wear pants five days a week to work. :( Plus I have the same waist to hip issue you do, but I'm trying to be positive about pants.

      Delete
  2. This post absolutely rocks! I'm really touched that you included me in it, especially since I don't own many pairs of pants (I have a dickens of a time finding vintage appropriate ones that work well for my figure) - a point which my own post (set to go live in a couple of hours) is actually all about today. Talk about cool timing!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pants are so hard to fit! That's one reason I'm willing to shell out for shipping from the UK for Freddies because some of their pants actually fit my hips and my waist!

      Delete
  3. Such a great post! I have been craving more 40s style pants for my wardrobe and these ladies are such great inspiration. Thanks for sharing! Oh, and congrats on your weight loss! I have done the opposite and gained 20 pounds over the last year, so yeah, depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a long slow process but I'm so happy about being smaller!

      Delete
  4. Oh, you know I adore vintage pants and this post. Jessica and Brittany are a fab inspiration for lovely vintage looks. I adore how Jessica is able to add modern pieces and make them look vintage with such ease.

    Oh, and congrats on losing 40lbs. I need to lose about that much to reach my goal. :::sigh::: And I hurt myself yesterday while exercising, so now I can't do it today. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to be so anti pants until I got my Freddies. At my work the building is so poorly insulated so I am pro pants for all of winter here in the chilly Midwest. What is even better is that I can even wear fuzzy pajama pants and thick leggings under them because they are so wide and it has become a life saver. After my friends have pointed out that I've been wearing my pants everyday for a straight month and that I can't do that (ahh whoops :P) I ordered a pair of overalls from AllureOriginalStyles on Etsy. They are so cute and even reinforce my love of pants even more.

    I think I'm addicted to pants now. I find it somewhat of a challenge, to put together a really authentic early 1940's outfit with pants. With skirts and dresses it's almost too easy. Plus, it's something you don't see often enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, now I have to check out Allure Original Styles! Always on the hunt for a new pant store!

      Delete
  6. A fabulous blog post :) I think pants get overlooked and I love wearing mine - my mum has made me two pairs of 1940s style pants and I love them!

    I found your blog via the lovely Jessica :)

    Katy
    xox
    http://vintagewife.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love 40s style pants but I don't wear pants a lot because I think they don't fit curvy girls like me, I have a small waist compared to my hips so it's hard to find a perfect fitting one, it's even harder to buy pents online... I own some Freddies... Here is one of the few times that I wore pants: http://lostin1950.blogspot.fr/2012/11/a-casual-sunday.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oo, amazing pant inspiration! I love my Freddies - unfortunately I can't wear them at the moment with the baby bump, but here's an old post featuring them and also a newer one with some 50s inspired maternity style. :)

    Playtime
    Borrowing Tips from Grace Kelly's Style

    I hope you like them!

    xox,
    bonita of Depict This!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cute! I just adore your maternity look! I love cute pregnant ladies! :)

      Delete
  9. Yes, I'm still trying to figure out how to get any sort of vintage trouser into my wardrobe! Currently I have none, so I'm trying to weigh the options! They're really a staple for a vintage wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! I just bought my first pair of vintage pants (80s does 40s) and love them. I do have a couple of pairs of authentic shorts, but would love to find some true 30's/40's trousers!
    Your newest follower,
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jamie! HeyDay offers some great repro 40s trousers if you don't have any luck with finding vintage ones. http://www.heydayonline.co.uk/

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love vintage pants. I find them so hard (in australia) to find them in my size though :( thanks for mentioning that hey day sight it looks brilliant!
    love jaimee
    www.hollyhocksandpolkadots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete