Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Vacation's Where I Wanna Be

Summer time often means summer vacation and summer vacations mean packing! Packing can be so stressful and then of course, you forget something. (Like your hairbrush and then you are stuck trying to brush out your pin curl sets with a hair comb.....) Here are my tips for a successful trip with vintage and me-mades.


1. Start packing early!

Ok, so you don't have to actually put anything in the suitcase yet, but start a list. Start with the basics and then try to flush out all the details. Your less likely to forget things this way. Don't forget proper undergarments, belts, purses, hair accessories, and shoes.


2. Watch the weather

I always add the weather forecast of my vacation destination to my phone so I can watch it for a few weeks before I go on my trip. This will help guide your wardrobe selection so you'll have appropriate clothes. I've made the mistake of going to Florida in the winter and thinking I'd get to prance around in shorts the whole time.


3. Plan extra outfits

It's especially important for us vintage loving gals to bring extra outfits in case of surprises on our trips. Some modern activities are just not that vintage friendly and you won't want to miss out on your trip because of clothes! I'd recommend at least one outfit with pants/shorts/capris and a snood or scarf for bad hair days.

4. Consider going travel sized

Vintage hair and make up uses a lot more products than most people like to take on vacation so consider going travel sized to keep your toiletries from needing their own suitcase. I like to save the small bottles from the hotel to refill with my own supplies.


5. Pack your own pillow

This one may seem a bit silly, but sometimes crappy hotel pillows can make sleeping in pin curls so uncomfortable. You don't want to toss and turn all night in the name of cute hair. This one is much easier to accomplish if you travel by car though.


6. Consider coordinating separates

When I think back to how I packed for vacations as a kid, my suitcase looked something like this: one pair of shorts, 7 t-shirts, 7 pairs of socks, 7 pair of underwear and one pair of pjs. It's so easy to get distracted by pretty dresses and forget separates but they are so much more versatile and will keep your suitcase light. Keep them mix and match-able for maximum utility. If you stick to one color palette, you can also get the most use out of your accessories too!

7. Remember, it's ok

Vacations are supposed to be fun! So what if it's so humid that your hair refuses to cooperate. Or you happen to manage to not pack a single stick of red lipstick. Just have fun and remember you can always pick up one of those tacky touristy t-shirts in case of an emergency.

Need more travel tips? Try these.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome tips! I agree with all of these. The moment I know a trip is on the horizon, I start prepping and will usually begin packing days in advance (checklist in hand every step of the way).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually going on a mini trip with family next week so these tips came in handy! Thank you! xox

    www.bunnysvictory.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually find that hair pieces can be a lifesaver when you travel! I have a fake bun that I bring with me. I know that if all else fails I can slick my hair back and have the perfect looking ballerina bun in no time! Total lifesaver if you're going somewhere with really high humidity (I'm looking at you peurto rico)

    ReplyDelete