Monday, March 25, 2013

HSF#6: Stripes

 It's another Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge! I missed #4 embellish because my project did not get done (I'm saving it for a later challenge now) and #5 peasants and pioneers because I didn't really have anything I wanted to do for it.


The Challenge: Stripes
Fabric: It's a poly cotton blend so not terribly historically accurate, but I had such a hard time finding 1" stripes in an appropriate weight and lack of stretch.
Pattern: I used a 1915 pattern to determine the width of my skirt and then just pleated it to a waist band.
Year: 1915 or so
Notions: 6 snaps, 2 hook and eye
How historically accurate is it? Aside from the polyester content, I think pretty accurate.
Hours to complete: A few, but only because I hand sewed the hem.
First worn: Not yet, but this project is for Costume College. Plus I have to make a blouse first!
Total cost: $15 or so

For this challenge, I was inspired by 1915-1917 beach wear. Plus with the by the sea challenge right around the corner, the matching blouse will be perfect for that challenge. Here's some of my inspiration.

I love the full skirts and light colors! It makes me long for walks along the beach!


I love the yellow striped skirt! Although I did consider the blue dress on the right for a while!


I love this yellow and blue number with the rope belt. Ladies in the 19-teens tended not to wear more than one color plus white but not always!


The top row in the center dress is great! Blue with stripes!


Ultimately, I fell in love with this pink ensemble! Next up, a stripey belt and middy blouse with pockets!

2 comments:

  1. I'm new to this era so this is great! Love the prints. Can't wait to see you with the entire ensemble! Visiting from the HSF.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, very different and as a previous commenter said, quite a new era to me, too.

    Bundana x

    ReplyDelete