Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Costume College: Sunday

This year four of us complete a secret group project involving plaid silk! We all used the same fabric to make dresses from different time periods but kept our exact plans a secret until Costume College.

Plaid Silk Group Project

A dizzy of plaid!

Plaid Silk Group Project

Even our backs were pretty!

Plaid Silk Group Project

Katherine of The Fashionable Past (aka Koshka the cat) did a fabulous Regency dress.

Plaid Silk Group Project

Plaid really lends itself to interesting self-fabric trims and Katherine did a really great job with hers.

Plaid Silk Group Project

Ginger of Scene in the Past did 1860s (ie Civil War). Love it! The trim is so striking and I love the bow at the neckline.

Plaid Silk Group Project

She looked so elegant!

Plaid Silk Group Project

Lauren of Wearing History did an 1869/1870 dress. It's from a cool transition period between hoop skirts and bustle dresses. I love in between periods.

Plaid Silk Group Project

Super pretty!

Plaid Silk Group Project

I did the 1950s!


I found this great vintage pattern and when I saw the green plaid on the cover, I had to make it!

Plaid Silk Group Project

It was so fun to wear and I am in love with silk now! It makes the most amazing sound when you wear it.

Plaid Silk Group Project

And it wouldn't be Costume College with out a bit of silly!

9 comments:

  1. Beyond fabulous! Such a great idea using one fabric across several periods. I have to admit I'm a bit partial to the 1869/70 one - I'm going through a real bustle phase at the moment, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow!!! They're ALL so beautiful!!! Man, I really want a reason to wear awesome historical costumes like this. I'll have to create one....
    And your dress is divine. It's so classy-Lucille Ball-ladylike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to hear more about the fabric. Where did you all get it from? I hope you didn't have to pay "Mood" prices:) It's such a great pattern and it certainly shows you how timeless the pattern really is. I bet you could do every decade! Just amazing. You did a fabulous job on your dress too. You should give us some more details on the construction of your dress. Was the pattern true to form? Did you have any issues working with this vintage pattern? Marvelous job!!! Love it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric is 100% silk from Micheal Levine Home in the garment district in LA. It was $8/yd which is great for silk. I plan on doing a construction post, probably next week because I've got such a back log of other Costume College posts.

      Delete
  4. Those dresses are amazing! My faves are the regency and your 50s dress, but they are all just dreamy.
    Hannah
    justpeachy-darling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So amazing!! I just love seeing the different time periods! If I was stateside, I so would have been your 1940s girl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a terrifically cool idea! It's really, really fantastic to see the same fabric used so exquisitely across patters spanning such a wide time frame. Hat off to all four of you lovely ladies!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness. I love the matching plaid dresses! That is the coolest idea ever!!

    ReplyDelete