(I am susceptible to the colors on the pattern cover......)
This challenge coincided nicely with Valentine's Day so I had something pink to wear out on Feb. 14.
The Challenge: Pink (ie make something pink!!)
Fabric: dusty rose rayon ($4/yd)
Pattern: Simplicity 3583
Year: 1940s war era
Notions: zipper ($2), vintage buttons ($3)
How historically accurate is it? Very. I used period construction techniques, period appropriate fabric and a period pattern. Not sure how old the buttons are but they are plastic and metal which is period appropriate
Hours to complete: 8ish- this was the dress that didn't want to get made....
First worn: Feb. 14th 2014
Total cost: $15
My hubby bought me some pretty blue diamond earrings as an early Vday present so I wanted to incorporate blue into the outfit. Enter pretty blue vintage buttons. And they matched my blue knitted bolero so well.
I also accessorized with a great vintage fur hat that was a gift from my high school drama teacher.
This dress fought me all the way. First, this fabric was the end of the roll and it had a few sticky bits from leftover tape. So there was a bit on the bodice back but I was just going to put it on the inside. Then when I ironed it and the goo seeped over to the right side. So I had to cut a new back piece.
Then I messed up grading the skirt and the waist ended up 6 inches too big. I hardly had to add any width at the hip and that should have been a tip off that something was wrong. So out with the seam ripper and scissors.
Lastly, I also cut out the cute little belt loops from version 2. But I top stitched them from the wrong side..... then I made the button hole from the wrong side. This was about 4pm on Friday so I just left them off. I may go back and add them in later but who knows.
Pardon the wrinkles. This was after a long (snowy) drive out to our church for dinner and a movie date night and then dinner and a movie.
But I really love how the final dress turned out so I'm glad I pushed through the problems.