Saturday, July 4, 2015

Thoughts on Living with a Capsule Wardrobe

I shared two 1940s capsule wardrobes back in May-one spring/summer and one fall/winter- in order to show you how a small, carefully curated wardrobe can really be versatile. I've been living with in my own small 40s capsule wardrobe and I thought I'd share what it's like.


First, a few notes. I haven't been living in just this capsule wardrobe. I've still been wearing other things, but probably 80-90% of the time, it's been the capsule wardrobe. I've also added a few pieces including a green skirt, a printed blouse and a black blouse. So now the new count is 1 dress, 1 suit, 1 extra skirt, and 4 blouses. I've not even tried to stay with in the capsule wardrobe accessories list but I have gobs of accessories so that's not really an issue.


One thing that is super awesome about having a capsule wardrobe is knowing you have an arsenal of comfortable outfits that look good on you. I don't get that "my closet is exploding but I still have nothing to wear" feeling since I know the things I do have are going to work for my life. Getting dressed in the morning is super easy.


This simplicity has caused me to simplify my hair routine as well. I've been wearing pretty much the same style everyday I wear the 1940s capsule wardrobe unless I have some place special to go. My make up routine has always been pretty simple so it fits in quite well with my new simpler style.


No one has noticed (or at least not commented) on the fact that my wardrobe has been less varied. Really, I don't think the average person would notice. I do worry about keeping enough variety for the blog, but I have to remember that you all don't see what I wear everyday so I can still keep things fresh.


Some of the downsides are that I still don't feel like I have enough pieces to really make it work. I only have two skirts and I usually spill something on one of them at least once a week. And then I'm down to one skirt. I'd also really like a day dress since my current dress is not good for day to day wear.

I'd also like to add a few more work appropriate pieces. I have things I can wear to work but I do want to make sure I can still look professional enough so that's where I'll be focusing on next.

7 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a capsule wardrobe- I am definitely one of those overflowing closet people who wakes up thinking 'I have nothing to wear!' But I definitely struggle with the variety- I love having lots of variety in the things I wear- I don't really have a defined style yet- so I feel like I would be fighting my multiple style personality disorder with a capsule wardrobe. But it is very tempting to not have to think so much about your outfit in the morning! It looks like you're off to a great start- and like you can really see the holes in your wardrobe right now and plan specific things to fill your needs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think bout this time next year I'll probably be doing my own capsule wardrobe. I had to do it as an assignment for a styling class, and it was pretty interesting, but what I chose I chose from necessity, and nothing looked well together.

    Carla, TinyAngryCrafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure, freeing yourself of that "full closet, nothing to wear" feeling is worth its weight in gold. I got really serious about curating my own wardrobe and not holding onto things that don't fit right/are shot/that I no longer love/etc about six years ago and it was life changing, really. Whether big, small, or medium, any wardrobe can achieve that if you dedicate yourself to just holding onto beloved pieces that fit really well and ideally that harmonize nicely with at least a few of their other closet mates.

    It's been really enjoyable to read about about your own capsule wardrobe experiences and I hope that you'll continue to share more on the topic with us.

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* That is one of the great things about wearing vintage! It's so unique/beautiful/glamorous to most people, that they're way more apt to focus on that than on if you're outfit is brand new (to them) each time they see you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even fathom a capsule wardrobe that would work for me, I just have no idea what I'd put in it! However, that being said, it's great idea and one I might have to utilize some day if our travel plans come off. I do like how you have such a great set of basics Stephanie! Your wardrobe seems so practical, yet really pretty and suited to you at the same time. ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds as though a capsule wardrobe is a real aid to personal style - when you're choosing pieces to go in it that carefully, they have to be completely 'you'. I'd always thought of it as a restraining thing, but you've shown its liberating side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't actually dress vintage, but I've been thinking for awhile about simplifying my wardrobe more. I have to admit it would make dressing easier.

    I think this is my first visit to your blog, so I don't know what you do or don't do, but you mentioned spilling something on one of your skirts at least once a week. If you have most of your issues at home, I recommend a cute apron for when you're cooking and eating. You may want to wear one for cleaning as well. Several aprons can be useful, and if they are pretty you can consider them a wardrobe bonus. :-)

    I got here from The Boyer Family Singers blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I do wear an apron when I cook but I have issues eating too. I don't know if I'm just recently clutzy or if I've been like this all along and never noticed it.

      Delete