Monday, July 8, 2013

Born on the 4th of July

Not really but I did watch Yankee Doodle Dandy this weekend. I didn't get to wear my patriotic dress until Sunday (more on why later this week) but here it is.


Tada! You may recognize this fabric if you've been reading my blog for a while. It was originally this dress, then I lost 30lbs and had to finagle it to sort of fit, but I wasn't happy with the fit. So this year, I decided to completely re-work it into a new dress.


I had really wanted to make the blue gingham version of Simplicity 2357. (I'm highly susceptible to pattern cover designs.....) But I had a blue gingham dress already! Since both had a circle skirt and the wrap dress meant extra fabric, I was able to squeeze it out of the original dress.


One thing I really do like is that there is no red actually on the dress anymore so I can wear this dress without having to be over patriotic.


Plus I can also wear a crinoline under it for extra poof!


I even used a stash zipper so this project was completely free. Yay! Maybe one day I'll make a peplum to go with it.


But for right now I love it with a red belt! It's so comfy with the kimono sleeves and gathers.


Due to fabric restraints, I wasn't able to match plaid as much as I'd like but with only a few pattern pieces, it's not too noticeable.


What did you wear for this patriotic holiday?

15 comments:

  1. I love everything about this 4th of July (and sumemrtime in general) perfect outfit. Great work on revamping this dress, it looks smashing on you!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing that pretty for sure. Refashioning is very important to me, you never know when you can get a lovely new piece out of something you already own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The perfect outfit for the 4th of July! You look great!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, love it! So perfectly bold and summer-y!

    Brigid
    The Middle Sister and Singer

    (P.S. the reason for you not wearing the dress until Sunday doesn't have anything to do with the recent on-going rain in Ohio, does it?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dress! It looks great on you! xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great patriotic outfit! I really love the size of the squares on that print!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so pretty in that lovely dress. Congrats on losing 30 lbs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute dress and outfit! You look totally adorable. So perfect for the 4th of July. Great job reworking something you already owned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's SO CUTE, once again! I love it! Way to go on reworking, too. I think that's a lot harder than just doing it from scratch! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the same fabric, but I still don't know what to make with it. This dress is so lovely

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just beautiful and you did a fabulous job of making it out of an existing dress! I have a blue and white check dress that I love to bits...but it has a gathered waist, your circle skirt with flat waistline is far more flattering. Very pretty. xx Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am just amazed you were able to tailor your dress down to refit. I bet this helps you learn with future dresses you may purchase that just don't quite fit right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh. My. Goodness! I absolutely ADORE this dress! The big blue gingham is just too gorgeous!!! I made Butterick 4790 recently too - http://www.dollycreates.blogspot.com/2014/03/vintage-wardrobe-challenge-finished.html
    I can't wait to find some big blue gingham and make a patriotic dress! :-)

    ReplyDelete