Thursday, July 25, 2013

A Casual Ensemble

Somehow, I never have difficulty photographing pretty dresses but casual basics never seem to make it to the blog. This week, I set out to show off some of the casual basics that I've made.


The blouse is Butterick 7641 c. 1958. And the shorts are Wearing History WWII Overalls in the shorts version.


This blouse is another incarnation of my friend's curtains. I love this color so much! And with the vintage mother of pearl style buttons, it fits with my unofficial theme for this summer's sewing-a touch of western.


It's been so great to have shorts again! There are just some activities that don't go well with skirts.


I love the cute little tab detail!


And here you can see a peak of my pocket lining! I used the same fabric as I did with my overalls. It just makes them that much more fun!


I'm definitely making a pants version of this pattern for this winter but I think they'll need belt loops. I keep wanting to throw a belt on with these shorts. There's something I like about high waisted pants and belts. Maybe it's the *hey look at the smallest part of me* vibe it gives off.


Do you find it hard to blog about those basic pieces even if they do get into your regular wardrobe rotation?

12 comments:

  1. Really really cute!!! I agree about belt loops I hate it when pants don't have them. Pehaps you can tutorial make your belt loops?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I'm much more of a vintage basics {especially pants} I probably see myself wearing them more than dresses. Just easier. Love the shorts and the yellow looks so vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the details of the blouse, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this outfit! You are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing the casual outfits too. This is so great you were able to make that fabulous blouse from curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I totally find it difficult, though I still try to blog about basics often! I think we get so caught up in all the gorgeous dresses and drooling over the fancy things that we forget women back in the day wore more practical outfits every day and saved the fanciness for special occasions.

    This is a GREAT outfit! I love the blouse pattern (it could so easily be made to look really western with a contrasting color yoke top and cuffs!). I also keep hearing good things about that overall pattern, so I may have to splurge on it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since you are really good at sewing, I would love to see some "how to" sewing posts from you! Especially on things like the top you have on in this post, the detail is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about this sweet, casual vintage summer outfit. You really look like the best dressed gal at a camp during the 1940s, honey.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this ensemble! I am soooo going to order the wearing history overall/ shorts pattern- such an amazing shape! Thanks for the inspiration!
    That yellow suits you so well and works so nicely with the denim too! :)And I know exactly what you mean about posting more everyday items but I actually find seeing practical and wearable vintage creations so inspiring-I love incorporating vintage into everyday!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Ami :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! And you are going to love the WH overall pattern! Such a great basics pattern.

      Delete