Thursday, May 1, 2014

Announcing: The Vintage Playsuit Sew Along!

A few months ago, I mentioned the possibility of hosting a sew along here on the blog. And the day has finally arrived to announce the opening of The Vintage Playsuit Sew Along!

vpsa-002

This is going to be a choose your own adventure type sew along. We'll each pick a vintage playsuit pattern and sew them up together. At the end of the sew along, we'll all have cute playsuits to wear this summer!


May is going to be the inspiration month where we'll talk patterns, materials and planning your playsuit.


June will be the sewing month although you are free to start sewing as soon as you have all of your materials! As a mini sew along within the sew along, I'll show you how to draft and sew up your own gathered dirndl skirt with a button placket. This will be kicking off in June.


For this sew along, we'll define vintage as 1920s-1960s but mostly I'll be focusing on 1930s-1950s because that's what I like.


While at least one piece of your playsuit must be you-made within the sew along time frame, feel free build your playsuit around a you-made or ready to wear piece already in your wardrobe. This is a great opportunity to rescue a wardrobe orphan or skip making a more challenge piece like shorts in favor of purchasing.

vpsa-002

So, grab a button for your blog and start planning your playsuit! Join up with other participants on the Flickr page and comment on any pin in the Pinterest board to be added as a pinner.

26 comments:

  1. I'm going to be in Paris the first half of june month, but if life isn't too crazy when I get back I'd love to join the sewalong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh fun! I'm excited for this! My Sew for Victory project is done and in the next week or so I'll be finishing the prom dress I'm making for a friend. So by June, in theory, I'll have time to join this sew along. :)
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aagh that is so pretty! Need to factor in work but if I can manage it then I'll be all aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I've been waiting for the kick-off as I have the pattern and fabric all ready to go! Heading to the sewing machine now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay sew-along! Just the thing to get me in gear and make a great playsuit something I have wanted for quite some time now. So excited!
    Here is my playsuit board on pinterest
    http://www.pinterest.com/VintageAttempt/playsuits-beachwear/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited for this. Hopefully joining a sew along will keep me on task and motivated to finish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this!! I am just about to finish a playsuit that I've been obsessing over for months, but who says I can't make another?!? I may have to jump in on this sew-along--thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Can't wait for the inspiration to start!

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great!
    I just finished a playsuit for the Sew for Victory 2.0 but of course I need another one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun sew along and just in time for warmer weather. I'm cue fly pregnant and will be most of the summer, but am thinking of say ways to participate

    ReplyDelete
  11. A playsuit is the capsule wardrobe for having fun. And I have a nice thrifted piece of fabric in mind to use! I need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yay!! I've got a playsuit pattern and fabric in my queue that I was planning on making this summer anyway. I'll have to bump it up in my sewing schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have the perfect pattern in mind for this! And June will be perfect- count me in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh! I have had some fabric in my stash for years specifically put aside for a playsuit. Maybe now is the time to put it together!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay!! Motivation to make a playsuit instead of just collecting their patterns :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait! Now if only I could make up my mind about the pattern I want to use...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh lovely! What a great idea.

    I would like to join in too, I'm planning for winter coming, but I'm sure I can whip up a lovely summery play suit!

    Thanks for getting this going x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Angela at Mermaid's Purse

      http://mermaidspurse.org.nz/

      Delete
  19. Would it be alright if I used vintage repro patterns? I only own two vintage patterns, neither of which would do for this sew-along...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You can also use modern patterns with a vintage feel. I've got some pattern inspiration coming up.

      Delete
  20. Im in!! oh my goodness! total coincindence! i just purchased vintage Hawaiian Lurline Cruise fabric for a play suit! I also have a 1940's vintage e pattern from etsy It was only 7.oo..although it is listed as pajamas If you go looking or it. :) kristine~

    ReplyDelete
  21. ah, found it! it's a pdf 1940's pattern for the top, shorts, and skirt. https://www.etsy.com/listing/87253507/repro-vintage-pattern-pajama-or-playsuit?ref=favs_view_10&atr_uid=14707579

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah, what a great idea! I wanted to sew a playsuit for such a long time, but last year was so crazy and busy, so this year it's due. I have a lot of patterns, mainly 19040s and 1950s, I'm sure I'll find a nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was so excited, I finished mine!! you can see my blog post here. :) http://kitschnsinkstudio.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-vintage-playsuit-sew-along.html

    ReplyDelete