Saturday, September 6, 2014

HSF#17: Yellow

This was a surprisingly difficult challenge considering the fact that I love yellow! Originally, I did have a yellow UFO that I was saving for this challenge but I decided it was a wadder. I had so many Elizabethan projects to do before the end of the faire that I didn't think I'd have any time to do anything.


But then the weekend before faire, I decided that I needed a new petticoat since I turned my last one into a bodied petticoat.


So I scurried off to Jo-Anns for some linen. Originally, I was eying some lovely green linen rayon but then I spied this golden yellow color and I knew it was meant to be!


The Challenge: Yellow
Fabric: 3 yds linen/rayon
Pattern: none-it's just a rectangle pleated to a waistband
Year: late 1500s
Notions: thread, hook and eye
How historically accurate is it? the rayon part not so much, but otherwise pretty good.
Hours to complete: 3 hrs
First worn: September 2014 to the renaissance festival
Total cost: ~$20


Now, you may have noticed that I'm wearing the petticoat on the outside, which is definitely not where it is supposed to be.


Originally, I was wearing it under my bodied petticoat but the bulk of the waistband was too uncomfortable so I decided to layer it on top.


So really, I'm missing a lot of layers in this outfit but it's faire and I was still one of the most historically accurate people there.


And maybe next time I will wear it as an actual petticoat!

4 comments:

  1. First off, I adore that yellow color! I just bought a skirt in that color (that would be woefully inappropriate for a Ren fest). In fact, I love the color scheme of your outfit in general--it's so nice and autumnal.

    Also, I just want to say that I love seeing these Ohio Renaissance Faire posts because I go there once or twice a year! It's such a great festival. If you happen to stop by the Lost Viking's Hoard, give the folks there my regards. They're old friends of the family. :)

    Cheers!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I bet you had a lot of people wanting to take their picture with you:) Very sweet and wonderfully made outfit. Hope you also had a big chomp of a turkey leg too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful ensemble!!! I'm smitten with the classic, earthy, elegant fall colour palette at work here.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I come late but you've done an amazing job ! Gorgeous elizabethan outfit !

    ReplyDelete