Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Komanri Round 2: Plans and Strategy


I can't believe that we are halfway through June already! The hubby and I and our 3 birds will be moving in just two months so that means it's time to do round 2 of Konmari! I have decided to chronicle this second round but I'm going to be handling it a bit differently than round 1.

I went into the whole Konmari process originally knowing that we would be downsizing late summer 2016. I knew that downsizing would really give me an extra push to let go of more things but I went ahead and did one round of Konmari because I really wanted to start simplifying. Also, after finishing this process, I still kept finding more things to let go of so I knew a second round of Konmari was in order.

Now that we have selected a new apartment and have a move in date, I'm feeling very motivated to continue to declutter! We're going from a 3 bed 2 bath condo with a 1 car garage to a 2 bed 2 bath apartment with no garage. We're losing about 300 sq. ft. of living space plus the garage and cutting our patio by 2/3 so it's going to take some reorganizing of our belongings! The hardest part is that we'll lose a bedroom closet, a walk in closet in the master and a coat closet so storage is key.

Instead of following the order Mari recommends in her book, I'll be going in which ever order I feel is best. Mari has picked out her order by starting with less sentimental things and working your way up to more sentimental things and doing things in this order helps build your decision making skills. I've already been through this process and feel like my decision skills are already great. Plus, I know which areas I'll really need to downsize and which areas have already been decluttered pretty thoroughly.

I'm not going to be documenting this round in quite as much detail because that was a huge project and this round I'm on a deadline and will have to get stuff done pretty quickly. But watch this space for more decluttering! Please let me know if there is a particular category you'd like to see get Konmari'd in round 2 and I'll try to work it into my filming schedule.

1 comment:

  1. Losing (or not having many to begin with) closets is never easy at all. I feel your pain there. I hope that there will be numerous perks to your new home that will help to ease the sting of such.

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete