Tuesday, April 16, 2013

What Real People Wore

It's quite easy to get wrapped up in the frilly party dresses and high fashion couture of the past and to forget what real people wore in their everyday lives. Today's outfit is not the most flashy or exciting but I feel it makes a great everyday outfit!


Last week I rotated my wardrobe and packed away most of my winter pieces so I went for layers on this chilly morning.


Outfit:
Blouse: me made
Cardigan: Ann Taylor
Skirt: 40s vintage
Hat and brooch: vintage


Can you believe that until recently, I had not one single basic white blouse?


Fabric: white rayon
Pattern: Du Barry 5909
Year: 1940s
Notions: 4 vintage buttons
First Worn: April 2012
Wear again: Yes! I imagine this will get a lot of wear!


I also added a vintage pin to my outfit! I really want to start wearing brooches more often but I have difficulty knowing how to wear them.


And of course, a hat is a must!


My husband got some new camera equipment recently and he decided to snap a few shots of me helping clean up at church after lunch.

 
 
I've really come to the realization lately that in order to really wear vintage all the time, I need more practical garments. Ordinary people didn't wear fancy or frufru all the time. They had to run errands and clean house and do all of the other day to day things that we do.


This outfit was quite practical and still cute!

15 comments:

  1. I love your hat! That's the problem with my wardrobe, more frosting than cake if your will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you look fabulous in this outfit. Very vintage, but not "costumey". The perfect balanced, wearable vintage look :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you looked amazing. Just loved it. And of course that skirt is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a super cute outfit! A real winner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute hat! And I like how you're rocking the vintage-inspired look into your every day life. And congrats with your blouse! I always forget how much care whites require to stay white, so I tend to be "out of whites!" easily too. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look wonderful in this outfit!!!
    +Victoria+

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that vintage is not all about frilly and fancy dresses. We all need to have some everyday kinda things to wear and this outfit is perfect or at least it's how I envision the way women dressed back in the day. And I love your hat! Where do you find your hats? I'd love to know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the everyday people sort of look. I wear pencil skirts and blouses ALL the time, and they're so easy to mix and match accessories with. And your hat is SO cute!!! I don't think yellow looks so great with my skin tone, but I could definitely work with yellow accents like yours has! Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a cute, yet still practical outfit! I love the hat! Every time I come across a cute vintage hat in my hunts I always frown, lol. They just don't fit on my large sized noggin. :]

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great outfit. Everyday vintage needs to be quite practical, I think - I wear a lot of tweed skirts and things knitted to vintage patterns. Good luck with getting more.

    As for brooches, I wear them a lot. It's nice it have a decent collection so you can match the brooch to the outfit. My number-one brooch wearer has to be Her Maj; you never seen the Queen without a brooch, and what a collection she has!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so classy, classic and beautiful. I completely agree with you about how it can be all too easy to focus on the glitz, after 5pm (or garden party) kind of vintage dressing, and forget that most women weren't sporting furs and designers dresses 24/7 back in the day. I adore (and base most of my wardrobe around) real world vintage outfits like this, too.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete