My vision for the summer is 50s casual with a dash of rockabilly and country/western thrown in for good measure. Now, I usually avoid anything country or western like the plague but my day dreams are now filled with denim and gingham and french braid pigtails! I think the 40s are still my favorite decade for style but my body shape definitely lends itself to more of a 50s shape. I love glamor but simple and cute fit my lifestyle so much better. I'll be focusing on separates and work appropriate pieces with maybe a dress or two thrown in.
With all of the weight I've been losing, a lot of my me made pieces are too big! After vacation, I'm going to start working my way through my wardrobe and taking in pieces so they fit again. Some of my favorites are barely wearable anymore. :(
Last summer, I sewed like crazy and loved it! I never quite got over that go go go mentality and I've realized that putting that kind of pressure on myself makes sewing a lot less enjoyable. So, I've set up some guide lines for myself.
- I will not set crazy deadlines for myself. If I want to wear something to a specific event, I will give myself plenty of time to work on it and have an appropriate back up ensemble just incase.
- I will not force myself to work on something if I'm not inspired by it. I want my hobby to be fun and not a chore. I give myself leave to watch a movie, knit or even start another project if my current project is not inspiring at the moment.
- On the other hand, I will not have more than 3 sewing and 1 knitting project going at once. I do not have space for UFOs!
- I will start sewing through my stash again. I was doing well at the beginning of the year but kind of fell off again. I currently have two projects that will need fabric (one for vacation and one for Renaissance Festival costume improvements) but other than that I will not buy fabric until fall semester (or I run out of stash fabric!) unless I am using a piece of stash fabric in the project.
- I will work through the mending/refitting pile so I can wear the lovelies I've already made.
- I will have fun sewing and blogging because it's a hobby not a job. Also, I will remind myself that not every second of my life needs to be blogged and not every outfit needs to be photographed.
- I want my sewing to be at least 75% work appropriate pieces. I have loads of nonwork appropriate pieces already!
- I want to focus on collecting accessories. So often, I put together an outfit and I feel like something is missing. I want to save my spending money this summer for yummy vintage accessories like purses, necklaces, broaches and bangles. (Not spending it on fabric will be very helpful to this endeavor. lol.)
- I want to start sewing more from my vintage pattern stash. It's quite large now and I feel like my drafting skills are good enough to be able to tackle resizing pieces.
- I want to wear more me made pieces and more me made outfits. Wouldn't it be great if Self-Stitched September could be just another month and not a huge challenge?