The Challenge: #1: Foundations
Fabric: 3.5 ys Linen ($11/yd)
Pattern: I used this great tutorial by Jen of Festive Attyre.
Year: Renaissance-ish (1500s)
How historically accurate is it? It's mostly machine sewn and I surged my seams but the overall shape is correct. And it's yummy linen!
Hours to complete: 4-5
First worn: not yet. This linen is quite fine so I don't feel comfortable modeling it for you!
Total cost: ~$38
It's got this great cartridge pleating detail at the neckline. And it's super comfy to wear!
While we're at it, I decided to photography the corset I made for the 2014 #20: Alternative Universe Challenge but never photographed.
It's made of one layer of coutile and bound with store bought bias tape.
I hand sewed the eyelets but the rest of it is sewn by machine. Coutile is hard to sew by hand!
The seams are all finished nicely for maximum comfort.
I started with the pattern for my kirtle bodice and shortened it. Then I tweaked the fit until I got the shape I wanted. To draft your own kirtle bodice, go to elizabethancostume.net for a drafting guide.
And now that I have the corset and chemise done, it's time to get started on the dress!!!