I conquered denim and sewed up some overalls!
Fabric: cotton denim 7 oz. ($13/yd)
Pattern: Wearing History WWII Homefront 1940s overalls
Notions: jean buttons ($4)
Hours to complete: 14
First worn: May 2012
Total cost: ~$25
When I saw Wearing History's latest pattern, I knew I just had to have it and make a pair (or three!)
So far I've made the playsuit in blue linen as a wearable muslin, these overalls, and a pair of denim shorts! You can bet you'll be seeing loads of this pattern from me this summer!
I did make a few muslins of the short part first just because I know my shape is no where near the ideal 40s shape. Since the pattern said it ran a bit snug in the hips and I was between hip sizes, I went with the larger size and had plenty of room. I definitely recommend muslining this pattern just because the 40s pant shape can look frumpy real fast if they don't properly.
And for just a bit of effort, these came out very comfortable but still super flattering! So many other 40s overall patterns and repro overalls just look frumpy and manly but these are so cute and feminine!
These took a while to make because I did double topstitching on most of the seams. Note to self, next time you want to do this much double topstitching, buy the double needle! It wasn't hard. I just had to go slow to make it look good.
In fact, the pattern sewed up just swimmingly until I got to the buttons and button holes. My machine gave me a bit of attitude when doing the button holes so there was a bit of weeping and gnashing of teeth but I made it through all of them. Then I got jean buttons that are two pieces that you hammer together through the fabric. NEVER AGAIN! It was sooo hard to hammer in straight and they kept getting all bent and then I'd have to try and rip them out with pliers without destroying the overalls.
On my playsuit, I did do a button hole under the pocket but it was such a pain! And I really had to do the wiggle dance to get my hips in, so I lowered the opening on the overalls. (If you're hips are big for your waist size, you'll probably need to do this too.) So I just did two snaps under the pocket instead.
I decided to line the bodice, waist band and pockets with this cute bird fabric instead of using bias binding. It gives a really nice clean finish. Plus it's so fun!
I paired the overalls with my Wearing History Smooth Sailing blouse.
I just adore my new overalls! I want to make another pair (and the pants too!) but I think I need a break from sewing denim for a while.