Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sew Bossy

A while back, Paige of Lux Per Diem asked if I would join up with her for a Sew Bossy challenge! And I said yes! Sew Bossy is the brain child of Oona of Oonaballoona and Heather Lou from Closet Case Files. In short, you get to plan a sewing project for another seamstress, sending them the pattern, fabric and notions that they have to sew up.

Paige sent me McCall's 6696, a darling shirtwaist dress pattern. (To see what I sent her, go here.)

And here's my version:

I just adore shirtwaist dresses! So classic! This pattern came with separate pieces for A, B, C, and D cup sizes and I decided to give it a whirl without an FBA. And it came out great!

I have to admit that I was a bit nervous before I started. It's been so long since I've sewn with a Big 4 pattern that I really had to pay attention and think through sizing again.

It turned out quite nicely though. I just adore that this dress has pockets! I also love wearing this dress with a belt to help break up the print a bit.

Today I went for a retro casual look rather than full on vintage. This dress is great for walking on either side of that line.

Thanks, Paige, for being Sew Bossy!


  1. Very cute, and I love that print!

  2. Turned out great! I'm glad you like it! The belt looks really good with it!

  3. Hooray! I have that pattern and I'm excited to know that it comes out so well. That print is fabulous. I've been desperately trying to find a tropical rayon print.

    1. This fabric is from JoAnn's. I'm not sure of the fabric content though. I do have some fab tropical rayon print that I'm working with right now but it came from the garment district in LA so that's probably not very helpful for you.

  4. I love a good shirtwaist dress with pockets too. You're so talented.

  5. This is a fabulous dress! love it :) I'm also doing a sew bossy challenge and am just about ready to send off my package. I can't wait to see what I get to make!

  6. What a cool idea for a sewing project (I think I might have to give that same kind of idea a spin with some of my paper crafting friends). Your dress turned out awesomely and is so fun (and summery!). I really agree that it can work well in either a full on vintage setting or a more retro inspired one.

    ♥ Jessica

  7. I love this dress! What an achievement! Congratulations! It really suits you!

  8. Love it! I'm so happy I saw these! You guys did an amazing job of playing to each other's strengths (green on a redhead, always). And tiger lilies are my most favourite of flowers of all time so I am trying to contain my jealousy that you are COVERED IN THEM!