Friday, June 12, 2015

The Melody of Summer

I love my Norma Jean blouse but I didn't really have a lot in my wardrobe that matched it outside of denim shorts/pants. That is until I made this great green skirt that is! Must have more basics!


 I know that I originally planned on making shorts from this green linen cotton but I really have not been wanting to wear shorts lately. Or make muslins and refit my shorts patterns. So a skirt it was.


I used Wearing History's Sailor Playsuit skirt pattern. It's pretty easy to remove the button placket. The center front is clearly marked on the pattern. You just need to add a seam allowance to that line or put the center front on the fold. I opted for a seam down the front of my skirt just for a better fabric layout.


I do already have a green skirt almost this exact shade but it has an anchor motif on it. I love a good novelty bit especially since it's nautical but not sure I can handle nautical and music novelty prints together.


And this color green matches the green music notes perfectly! I guess I could have gone with pink too but I'm not too much of a pink person.


And I decided to try something a bit different with my hair this time. I did a bunch of dry pin curls for the front section and threw the rest of it back in a snood.


It does take a bit of practice and trial and error to figure out the pin curl placement. Placement isn't as easy as for victory rolls where you have one on each side. I also have thin, short hair so there's not  much volume.


If you have longer or thicker hair, your curls will be bigger. Also, your snood will be fuller. Ah, the pain of having a flat, empty snood!


This outfit was so comfy if a bit wrinkly. That's linen and cotton for you. The Normal Jean blouse did much better in the wrinkle department. I also love that it's long enough that I don't have to worry about it untucking all day long.


You can still get this blouse on the Wearing History website. (And Pssst! It's on sale right now!) And Lauren is also offering this print on a yummy rayon challis for all of you seamstresses out there. It's not the same fabric the blouse is made out of but rayon is just fabulous for so many 40s looks!


 I'm so happy now that I can wear this blouse all the time this summer!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I love the blouse print! Such a fun outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a gorgeous outfit!! You look just beautiful!
    I love the green skirt with that blouse - it is indeed perfect with it! I am definitely getting some of that fabric!
    With the hot weather, humidity, and unmanageable hair, I've been getting back into snoods too and loving it. They look so vintage but make our lives so much easier. :)
    Lovely, lovely outfit, Stephanie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I love the hair. I also feel the pain of thin short hair, but my hair is so thin that length hardly even makes a difference. Do you ever tease for vintage styles or to boost pincurls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do tease sometimes but I still only have so much hair.

      Delete
  4. Fabulous outfit! I love the midi-length of your new green skirt. That is my favourite length for hemlines and one I'm constantly on the prowl for. It's just so flattering!!!

    Have splendid weekend!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. That green color is like my all time fave color! I love the look of the skirt and how well it goes with your blouse. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you do so well at sewing basics Stephanie! I'm always thinking I need to follow your example, and then I never do because I get sidetracked by all the pretty prints I have in my stash, and... I like the color of that skirt, it really does pop with the blouse!

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute outfit! The skirt works perfectly with the blouse.

    ReplyDelete