Monday, June 1, 2015

Pink Pink Pink

Now that I've started to fill my wardrobe with great basics, I've realized that so many of my outfits are just perfect for one particular accessory- the brooch! Alas that's the one accessory that I have not yet conquered.


Thankfully, I'd already been challenged on the brooch issue earlier this year with the 40s Calendar Challenge. Not only did I wear a brooch, I made it and it was large and loud!


So when I pulled out this great pink 40s dress, I needed to add a brooch! The great thing about basics is that it's so much easier to add accessories.


I really like this brooch because it contains lots of great colors including chartreuse which is one of my favorites to wear. Plus it's got a bird on it. Biiiiird! :)


There's one other part of my wardrobe that I've been trying to puzzle out and that's my hair. Pin curling is out of the question as the high humidity of Florida has made it not worth the effort for several months now.


I was originally planning on wearing my hair in an updo all summer. But it's not long enough yet. I can do a pretty good pony tail but that's about it.


So I decided to try a snood instead. Of course, my hair isn't really long enough to fill out a snood yet either but I was able to pin up some of the excess so I don't have any empty snood.


See! Tiny snood! I also have stumbled upon another option which you all will see later this week.


 The dress is Simplicity 3583 and I'm not sure why I don't wear it more often because it's super cute. Maybe it's because I've been a bit anti-pink lately. Not sure why as this is a lovely color on me.


 It's got lots of great yummy 40s tailored details. I love the 40s for some of these little details. Plus there are tons of great practical and comfortable styles.


 Guess it's time to put this dress back in heavy rotation!

11 comments:

  1. Hi, your dress ist so beautiful. Belt, brooch, shoes and snood ... perfekt for that dress.
    For an few weeks I ask my self: How many desses, skirts and blouses need a women for perfekt outfits every day? Your post from may 16. was a inspiration for me. Thank you
    sorry excuse my bad english
    best wishes
    Agnes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm so happy you found my capsule wardrobe post helpful. :)

      Delete
  2. This should definitely go into your heavy rotation. It's classy, feminine, and professional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dress is perfect! It IS so much easier to accessorize solid pieces, and I'm really trying to add more to my wardrobe. (That being said, I just finished beach pajamas with a giant floral print, so.... sometimes solids take a back seat... but I'm TRYING.) I love your brooch; the colors are gorgeous, and birds are always a win!
    I can't wait to see what you have figured out for hair! I'm having the same problem, short hair and sucky curls. I'm not sure what to do with it, so I've been doing a lot of ponytails and headscarves, just to keep my hair out of the way. I'm getting quite frustrated, so I'm looking forward to seeing your solution!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pink dress does look lovely on you! And your snood hairdo is so cute!

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks wonderful on you, and the tiny snood is super cute. You make this work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dress looks beautiful on you! I love the color, and the style is really sweet and simple. The brooch and snood are great touches - interesting and eye catching without over-complicating things. Love it.
    <3, Zella Maybe

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pink is such a good colour on you. I really like the idea of more solids; they are much more versatile, and can let prints really stand out. The snood looks great on you. It's something I'd like to try myself

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really beautiful outfit. It's so classic, classy, and elegant - plus that brooch is a delight!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the whole look! Your snood has you neat as a pin. I think solids are the way to go most of the time, although I'm sure attracted to prints. Accessories are showcased with a solid and details in the garment are more apparent.

    ReplyDelete