Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Downton Abby


Yesterday, I spent several hours watching the entire first season of Downton Abby. (I did laundry too!) It was great! The costumes were fabulous. The house and grounds are gorgeous. There is a lot of plot too.

I love love love the mom's coat (second on the left). There is a wide variety of fashion in this film. Mostly, it involves the wardrobes of the wealthy titled upper class, but you do get to see the servants in leisure clothes occasionally.
Here we get to see both the upper class (left) and the lower class (right). I love how the lives of the servants are a big part of the plot. There is an entire other world going on "behind the scenes" so to speak of the house.

There are hats galore in this film! This was one of my favorites. I do have to say that there is a lot about this period, fashion wise, that does not appeal to me. It's kind of a love it or hate it thing for me.

I did really love the girls' dinner wardrobe. Wish I could get dressed up like this for dinner every night!

Something that they did that I loved was make it feel like the characters had real wardrobes and not some magic closet that kept throwing out new frocks. The same garments appeared over the course of the season. Real people wear clothes more than once! (Though this may have just been obvious to me since I watched them back to back.)

There was one awkward scene with men kissing....... :( I felt that it was completely unnecessary, particularly for the period and that the rest of the season was so clean!

Season two is supposedly in the works. I hope it's available in the US!

6 comments:

  1. I have to say I was abit shocked by the "men kissing" commentary, since I don't see a problem with that at all. Not unnecessary at all, because people were gay or bisexuals back then as well...

    Anyway: have to agree on the rest. Loved the plot, costumes and the whole series actually (: And I have to agree that the wardrobes felt real. Can't wait for the second season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Pandora

    I believe homosexuality is wrong and it weirds me out to see men kissing. I'm certainly not naive enough to think homosexuality did not exist back then, I just though that they didn't need to show them kissing on camera, particularly since it was even more socially unacceptable back then.

    But if that doesn't bug you, that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking last week how I wished hats would come back. They have such a beautiful finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see a problem with the guys kissing either. Homosexuality has always been around, just look at Oscar Wilde!

    I too love this show, the costumes make me so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been enjoying Downton Abbey too! I have one more episode to finish. I am in love with the mom's jacket too :D I was a little shocked at that kissing scene too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE Downton Abbey! I've recently become a fan, and was so sad to find out us Americans have to wait until NEXT year to see the new season. Argggh! Anyway, I LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete