Monday, February 28, 2011

Slipping from vintage to antique

I have to admit that I watched the entire first season of Downton Abbey today..... It was on Netflix so I couldn't resist. I did clean and do laundry and take apart a dress while watching. Now I'm going to dream about beautiful 1910s fashion.

I love the hats! So big! So bold! When are hats going to make a come back!

Isn't this divine! Gold embroidery and fur!

The jacket looks like silk. An Asian influence perhaps?

I adore the blue and white dress.

I love the plaid number with the red details. Wish I could see the frong!

This lady is just gorgeous.

I did have a difficult time finding pictures from the show of the outfits I actually liked, but here are a few.

Lady Mary's blue shirt with the cute collar. I must find a pattern I can turn into this!

Cora's coat- I do have a pattern for this, but as it is already almost March, it'll have to wait until next year. :(

Lady Sybil's purple dress. I love the collar details and the buttons.

What eras have been inspiring you lately? Have you caught the Downton Abbey bug?

10 comments:

  1. I love antique fashions! I've been very inspired by Edwardian and Victorian fashions lately and I think I may try to find a way to bring some of those eras into my wardrobe this spring. Those enormous hats are to die for. Speaking of antique fashion, when will big hips and hats a la Marie Antoinette make a come back? Gosh, I love those hats and frills!!I haven't seen Downtown Abbey yet but I'm going to flip through Netflix and find it right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. egad! such a lovely era...I wish the big dresses, and the HUGE hats people would start rockin' more. Only at the horse races now i suppose...

    stumbled upon your blog! i like it. i'm following now! You can check me out at

    Hattitude Artistic Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE antique fashion! I've been working at incorporating it into my wardrobe (and the wardrobes of others!) for years. I'm sure if enough people decide to rock the big hats we can bring them back!

    Downton Abby had so many great costumes, we need to see some more Edwardian style come back to life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently watched all of Downton Abby on my computer as well. How I wish it were practical to wear such lovely things now, sigh . . . I've been slowly trying to find ways to bring vintage inspiration into my wardrobe. Right now I'm eyeing a 1940's suit pattern that I may actually be able to wear to work - once I find the time to make it of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, what pattern did you find for Cora's coat? I made up Wingeo's coat but it was horrible to work with.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore antique fashions, too, and really do hope one day to include some Victorian and Edwardian fashions (quality, period authentic repro is totally fine) in my wardrobe, too.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those hats are so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful works of art. It must have taken months to whip out one of these beauties! So elegant, refined and luxurious. And the hats! I also wish that hats would make a comeback. The only time we see hats in our area is during the Kentucky Derby, they are a millinery delight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you ever find a pattern for Lady Mary's blue shirt? if so what pattern? I adore it as well

    ReplyDelete