Saturday, August 16, 2014

I'll take you to the zoo

Ah, the zoo! A place full of childhood memories. And lions and tigers and bears, oh my! The hubby and I decided to seize the opportunity for one last summer outing before school starts up again! (Yup, one school I teach at starts Monday. Eeep!)


 Going to the zoo is one of the things on my Ohio bucket list so that's where we decided to venture. Having been to the Cincinnati Zoo many times, we decided to check out the Columbus Zoo instead.


And what should we spy first but those Floridian birds- flamingos! I think perhaps I'll have to get some flamingos to put in the yard when we get to Florida.


Penguins are always high on my to see list at any zoo or aquarium. I actually got to pet one one time at the Cincinnati Zoo. It was awesome although they do smell a bit fishy.


 It was quite busy on the day we went so finding an empty spot to take outfit photos was a bit of a challenge but we did find a couple spots with some obliging greenery.


 Lorikeets kissing! I love getting to go into the lorikeet enclosure. Unfortunately, by the time we got there, they were rather tired of people so we just had to admire them from afar.


I had quite a time trying to pick out an outfit for the zoo. I think most of my problem was that I really wanted it to be fall already but was still going to warm up during the day. So I threw together a classic 50s outfit with my largest crinoline for extra fun factor.

Blouse: Advance 8511
Skirt: me-made
Purse: Pinup Girl Clothing
Shoes: Payless
Earrings: Sparkle Lux


One cool thing they have at this zoo is a feed the giraffe station but the line was super long so we skipped it and went to watch this elephant take a bath instead. So cute!


 I got a lot of looks and comments on my outfit while I was out and about. Little girls especially loved the poofy skirt. In fact, my husband said that he's sure they'd think I was a princess if I was wearing a tiara. He better watch out because I might just take him up on that idea.


There were quite a few baby animals on exhibit while we were there including this kangaroo joey. You could actually walk around in the kangaroo enclosure but no petting was allowed. They look so fluffy!


By the end of the day, I was tired, tired, tired. It was only about 3 pm when we finished up the zoo but we wanted to eat dinner in Columbus before going home so we had to brain storm ideas to fill a few hours. My hubby came up with the brilliant idea of looking for a vintage shop and patiently waited around for an hour and a half while I shopped. (But I let him pick an Irish pub for dinner so I think we're even).


 I did end up picking up a few things but that is a post for another day. What's your favorite animal to see at the zoo? If you couldn't guess mine from the photos I selected for this post, it's definitely all of the feathered residents!

8 comments:

  1. I love going to the zoo, this sounds like a lovely day. I also love your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faz tantos anos que não vou ao zoológico, já estamos pensando em ir levar minha filhinha, adorei o look, muito elegante.
    Beijos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charmingly cute photos and outfit! I love the vibrancy of that circle skirt - it's like the perfect, clear blue summer sky.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this pattern and blouse. It's got a vintage yet modern vibe to it, such a fun print. Amazing that school is already beginning! Good luck with your new class schedule:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Burnett Park Zoo in Syracuse has SANDCATS. They are the cutest little things ever. I want like 6 of them. The last time I went, my dad had picked my sister and I up, around Christmas time, and was like "I haven't been to the zoo in forever". So because it was winter, we had the place to ourselves.

    I had thought you'd be in Florida for the fall as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're moving in December so there's still a few months of Ohio left.

      Delete
  6. I just love that BBQ fabric! I have the Bernie Dexter dress, but I love the idea of a sleeveless top with that fabric- it can be paired with so many bottoms! And the red-turquoise colorblocking is pretty rad <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tiara bit made me think of Friday, when I saw a ballerina in her tutu and tiara getting ready to dance at Columbus Circle in NYC, for no apparent reason. I was bummed I couldn't stay and watch!

    ReplyDelete