Friday, August 8, 2014

Summer Fun

This past weekend was my husband's family reunion which largely consists of a day of eating and chit chat at a park in Kentucky. And since the weather forecast was nice rather than broiling as it usually is at this time of the year, I decided to pack something a bit more fun.


I made up this 30s ensemble a few years ago from Wearing History's Chic Ahoy pattern but alas it doesn't get much wear.


Part of that is because I made the green bits from an old sheet. (Just say no to sheets) And the other part is that the closures on the bottoms are quite complicated.


And I loath not being able to wear a regular bra.


But I remembered how ridiculously fun this really is to wear this weekend.


I've decided that I absolutely must make up another pair in a nicer fabric.


Although perhaps with a more practical top.


A rather unintended side effect of this wardrobe revival is that I'm now quite in love with the 30s.


If you've been following me on Facebook or Instagram, you'll have seen an influx of deco fabrics. Of course none of them are for the things I most want to make-beach pajamas and another set of these culottes.


I've never quite been bold enough to try 1930s fashions but I do think I'm ready now.


And part of sewing for yourself is going on adventures!


Are you ready for some 1930s outfits?

11 comments:

  1. This outfit looks so fresh and fun, Stephanie. (But I hear you about the bra... that's no fun.)

    I've never made culottes - do you think they'd work on pears like myself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could rock them. I'm quite hippy myself with a 12" difference between my waist and hips. The nice thing about this particular style is that they are quite full and give sort of an A line shape which is quite flattering.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Stephanie. I've always been nervous about them - but you're totally rocking them. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. I love that green color. I never would have guessed it was from a sheet! You look so adorable in it, I can't wait to see more 30's things from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolutely gorgeous ensemble! I am so jealous of your sewing skills. I had my grandmother try to teach me how to read and cut a pattern and it was much more difficult than I thought it would be-not to mention the actual sewing part of it! I adore the color also. The 1930's is probably my favorite decade but it is so difficult to find that I don't wear it. I would love to see more 1930's sewing adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is a very cute outfit! It is funny that you should wear a top like this because I bought a bra especially for a kind of top like this. I'm too old to go braless lol. I also just got a some beach pajama pants today! So excited since I've never gotten around to making a pair. Excited to see what you have in store since the 30s had such excellent patterns for sewing (as far as design not instructions lol).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have been falling more and more in love with the 30s. It's not stark like the 40s can be (those slim A line skirts just aren't FUN enough!), over the top like the 50s, and more shaped than the 20s while still being wholly comfortable. I think I might need to join you in some fun culottes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charmingly pretty outfit! I really like the softer, classic hues at work here. The diagonal buttons on the skirt is soooo lovely, too!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this ensemble! It's so adorable! The color is fabulous.
    And why don't you like the sheet fabric? Does it not wear well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just looks like sheets and feels like sheets and I can't forget that I'm wearing sheets.

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness! This outfit is too adorable for words! I cut and the details and especially the colors!!! Fabulous!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete