Sunday, March 13, 2011

A simple skirt (and some more on the ugly dresses)

I've been feeling a bit bummed about sewing lately. The swing dress sew along has had some frustrating issues and working on the three ugly dresses has been a bit crazy just because of the fabrics. So yesterday, I left all of this behind and whipped up a skirt to go with my spring palette challenge (which I'm still slowly doing projects for).

This is one of the skirts from the Sew Serendipity book. It was quick and easy and I love the funky combination of prints.

I really wanted to focus on making a quality piece, so I opted for faux french seams for most of the seams. I love the way french and faux french seams. They look so much more professional than anything else I can do.

Here is where I wish I had a serger. I couldn't do a faux french seam for the ruffle on the bottom, but the zig zag will have to do.

Pocket! It was pretty easy to do too!

There was quite a bit of top and edge stitching in this pattern as there was with the chocolate coat, which came from the same book. I went with pale green for most of the stitching detailing and brown for the pocket. I felt the pocket fabric was just a bit too busy for that much contrasting thread.

Skirt: made by me
Shirt: a brown one I've had forever
Necklace: New York and Company

And I thought I'd give you an update on the three ugly dresses. The fashion show is next Saturday so I have just under a week to finish.

This is skirt that I made. I turned the bottom of the mermaid skirt in to more of a circle skirt shape, added a waistband and appliqued the vintage lace from the off white dress.

Eeek! I just love the lace!


And here is the shirt I've been working on. It's been a bit frustrating because I'm not used to working on this type of fabric and I used it inside out (so the right side is the wrong side). Hopefully it will not look so cheap. Some fabrics are just not ok outside of the prom dance floor.

I did a lace overlay on the collar. I still have to pick out buttons. *sigh*

2 comments:

  1. Thats such a cute skirt, love the patchworking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting these...very inspiring! :D

    ReplyDelete