Thursday, October 6, 2011

CSSA: Teal + Atoms

After one failed embellishment idea, a mini freak out and a lot of embroidery, I finally have a circle skirt to show you! (I actually haven't finished embroidering the back but I'm going out of town this weekend and I needed to take photos today while I had time.)

I decided on a boarder print embroidery in white. I was inspired by the atomic designs popular in the 50s. I'm also a chemist and that really pushed me towards doing an actual atomic symbol rather than the atomic style patterns you'd find on dishware.

Originally, I'd chosen a pink and green color palette inspired by some 50s style atomic print fabric I found at Jo-Ann's, but ended up going with white so this skirt could really go with everything. And I'm really glad I did because I love it!

This circle skirt is a bit longer than the last two I've made and I really love the length. It's going to be a really great fall and winter piece, but it's not too heavy that I can't wear it in the spring and even into early summer.

Today's color scheme was inspired by this lovely teal hat that I bought from the same store as the pink feather one. I wore this out to dinner and to Walmart. I was a bit nervous because it's been a long time since I've been out this vintage anywhere except church (where I have gobs of supportive people to tell me I look great). I realized that there are really a lot stranger (and worse) dressed people at Walmart.

7 comments:

  1. oh, I love it!!! The color scheme is so cute, too. Agreed about Walmart! When girls run around with their derrieres hanging out of too short shorts, I feel like I'm not the one being stared at. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!!! I just adore how the embroidery looks--perfect! :) Your entire outfit is beautiful; pairing the brown and bright teal is a winner.

    It's funny because I usually end up running errands to Wal Mart when I'm in my most vintagy of vintage looks--somehow my schedule just always ends up that way. :p I've gotten nothing but compliments though--and a few weird glances. ;) hehe! But those usually happen anyway wherever I wear vintage! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great ensemble! LOVE your atomic embroidery idea! How perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks truly amazing on you! I adore the detailing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love teal and black together and the atomic detailing is inspired!

    ReplyDelete