Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Dressing Downton: Modern Mourning

 I have been sewing up more Downton Abbey inspired pieces. There have been a few hiccups but I'm still pushing through for these lovely costumes. This month, I replicated a blouse Mary wears in S1.Ep1. to the memorial service for the late heirs.


It features white trim along the top edge and another row right below. And there is a row of cute white buttons. She pairs it with a high waisted tuxedo looking jacket and a black skirt. I also adore Sybil's military inspired jacket and the scalloped collar of Edith's blouse.


For my version, I reached for the ever handy Sorbetto blouse. The drafting was very easy! I added piping to the neckline and across the middle of the shirt. I stole a sleeve pattern from another pattern and slapped them on there.


I was going to try and use the white piping as the neckline facing but all of that white was really distracting so I used black bias binding for a much cleaner look.


I covered buttons with some white bias binding (after lots of pressing!) so they'd match the white of the piping. I hate it when blacks and whites don't match.

Mary's has a straighter neckline and probably had long sleeves but I wanted a simple, wearable piece and I'm super happy with how it turned out.

6 comments:

  1. Very cute! Love the button detail and the piping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice!!! I do love Mary and Sybil's, but I just am in love with Edith's mourning outfit and of course her hat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful job! you are so talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never of thought of using binding to cover buttons. Fantasic. This is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, that is a lovely blouse!! You are such an inspiration with your modern takes on Downton costumes! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete