Saturday, February 11, 2012

It's a Party Dress

  And here's my party dress!
Outfit:
Hat: The Vintage Hat Shop
Shoes: Macy's
Bling: vintage
Belt: vintage
Dress: me made


The Facts
Fabric:  taffeta with velvet print, $5/yd
Pattern
: Butterick B5559 view a
Year: 1955 reprint
Notions: zipper ($3), lining ($3/yd), interfacing (stash)
Time to Complete: about 10 hours
First worn: Feburary 2012 Dinner and a Movie
Wear Again: Yes! Love this dress! I'll also be wearing it to see Tenderly (the Rosemary Clooney musical) later this month. I still have to make the self fabric belt. I wasn't going to but the waist came out a bit big (despite a muslin) so it needs a belt.
Total Price: ~$30 + $10 for belt (when I get that far)

So that's pretty awesome for a party dress! Everybody loved it last night. I felt so fabulous.


This pattern was very easy to make up. I was a bit nervous about fitting the kimono sleeves but they worked out ok. I can't do cartwheels or anything but I can move. The collar worked out great just make sure you use stiff interfacing. Best part: pockets! I adore dresses with pockets. I think this would look great as a top and I'd also love to make a more day version using view b.

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful Stephanie, boy you got the vintage hair down too, looks like you walked right out of the 50's. LOVE IT!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you look just like my grandmother did in the 1950s - the dress is gorgeous and I love how you kept a longer hem on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my ... That dress is so beautiful! Actually you seem transported to the 50s (my favorite period of fashion). You look perfect and spectacular, no wonder you received many compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! You did a fantastic job! :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh..I love it so much! You look like you just walked out of the 1955 issue of Vogue!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and you look wonderful in the dress and hat!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So chic! I love this style. It's fun, a bit flirty and flattering. Can't go wrong with the 3 Fs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it--you look so elegant! :) I really like the fabric you used--it makes the dress look even more special! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look like Deanna durbin out on the town! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a photo of my grandma wearing a dress very similar to that...it looks very authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, it looks great and I love that it has pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So fabulous!! You do 1950s SO well!

    ReplyDelete