Thursday, February 16, 2012

Lady Edith's Closet: Flower Show Dress

Flower Show


One of my favorite dresses from season 1 is the ecru dress Edith wears to the flower show. Mary and Sybil's flower show dresses make a second appearance at the garden party but Edith's only appears once.

Edith Flower Show


It features some crocheted lace on the neckline and sleeve cuffs. I've spied some at my local Jo-Ann's but there are quite a few people selling lace like this on etsy.

downton abbey sisters on stairs


And it has a darling green sash that looks to be at or slightly above the natural waist. (It's kind of hard to tell where the natural waist is when you're wearing a corset! lol)

Edith and Mary Flower Show


I love her oval brimmed hat! It's trimmed with white ribbon tied in a loop or bow with a large pale pink flower over it.

More Downton Abbey-2


The look is accessorized with a pair of crocheted gloves. I could not find a picture of the back of the dress or a full length shot, but this pattern would be just the thing to copy this dress!


Find it on the Sense and Sensibility Pattern's website. I had some trouble with the last Sense and Sensibility pattern I used but I'm hoping a year's worth of sewing experience will make this one a success. I'm planning on having this made up in time for Easter.

10 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I was so enamored of Mary's dress in those scenes I didn't pay attention to Edith's!! It's lovely. I love the little squarish neckline and the sash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your site an read right through! I didn't realize anyone else was following the clothes of Downton Abbey so closely. I love the pictures you have here. I'm always saying I'll start sewing again and seeing clothes like these is giving me a push to buy that sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Edith's too! I can't wait to see your recreation. you've got some awesome sewing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I've thought about someday down the road buying that pattern because of Lady Edith's dress featured in this post. If you use it, let us know how it turns out and how similar the two pieces are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to make ALL their dresses from the 'teens. I've made S&S's 1914 pattern, and it's really nice. The neck opening is a little broad and loose so you might want to take in the pattern there. The best idea would be to make a muslin, take it in, and redraw your pattern.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know! I'm definitely planning on doing at least a muslin of the bodice of the dress.

      Delete
  6. This is so pretty, I love the square neck line.. Happy sewing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yesterday I discovered S&S patterns and today Folkwear. They are beatuiful. Could I please ask where you find the pictures you have used in your blog, I have been thinking of buying the Downton Abbey book, but as I haven't had chance to check it out yet, I was wondering if they had a section dedicated to the clothes. I so do want to make a Downton inspired dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of them I've found using google image search, a few I took screen shots of myself and recently I found this site with all sorts of screencaps: http://disparue.org/gallery/7/downtonabbey/1/

      Delete