Monday, March 12, 2012

Dressing Downton: Edith's and Sybil's How did that get there? Blouse

My latest Dressing Downton project has been to reproduce this lovely blouse worn by Sybil:

Getting a ride to Rippen

And Edith:

  Sisters: Season 2 

I used a lovely watercolor print for the main fabric and a lavender fabric for the cuff and collar detail.


I took my styling cue from Edith and paired it with a high waisted black pencil skirt. This was partially because it was a bit short to wear with pants but also because the shape was horribly unflattering when untucked.


Can you say boxy? So not flattering on my body shape. Tucking in is a must!

I drafted this from Colette Pattern's Sorbetto and Butterick 5559 (sleeves). I also drafted the contrast pieces. I saved myself from any facing/hemming by sewing the contrast on right side of contrast to wrong side of fabric and then flipping it to the outside. I pressed the seam allowance on the other edge of the contrast so all I had to do was press the sewn seam and slip stitch the floppy edge down. Easy and pretty.

I suspect this blouse would have been more flattering with underarm gussets so there wouldn't be so much fabric hanging around. I think I'll end up taking in the sides of the blouse near the waist to give a more flattering shape. It won't be as true to the original but that's ok with me.

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing your blouse. It does look so nice with your pencil skirt:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, it came out really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is AMAZING! I absolutely adore the rich colors of the fabric. With the pencil skirt, it kind of looks a little Mad Men as well!

    Also, I nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award. If you're interested--and you're so not obligated to play along--feel free to check out the details on my blog http://retrorabbithole.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blouse is so pretty, I was wondering are you going to sew long dresses like Downton and wear them? Or are you wanting to make things similar with a modern flare to wear? Or are these things for you a just for fun item? What are your thoughts on this? Would you consider doing a post on how these beautiful things could be incorporated into everyday living, if you are going that direction. I would love to know more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am planning on doing some reproduction type pieces for everyday wear, some costumier pieces for Costume College and then some more inspired pieces for everyday wear too. I'd love to do a post on translating these pieces to more wearable garments!

      Delete
  5. Nice. :) Good job.

    Blast it I must get started on mine... So many projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! The blouse is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! I'd been thinking of making something inspired by this blouse myself. Don't you just love the colors that the costumers gave to Sybil in the first season?

    ReplyDelete