Friday, July 10, 2015

Mixing Things Up

One of the things about having a smaller wardrobe is that it really forces you to be more creative. I had some extra time to get ready in the morning so I set out to whip up an outfit I'd never worn before. Here it is!


This ensemble includes several items that I've had for a while but don't wear very often for one reason or another. I'm trying really hard to either find ways to wear these pieces or let them go.


One is this great purple snood. It's actually my very first snood which I purchased for a Renaissance Festival costume before I decided I liked wearing them for 1940s styles too. Alas, I don't really wear a lot of purple so it doesn't get worn very often. But you don't have to wear a color in the main part of your outfit before you can add it via an accessory.


The other piece is this great white collared sweater which you may remember from my 1920s outfit. I bought it thinking that it would be a great basic but then realized that I'm not too keen on the high neckline on me.


Then I thought what if I added a brooch or a bow at the neckline? Tada! Perhaps I need more bows and a whole host of lady ties since I adore this look so much!


And, lastly, a great pair of shoes. These used to be among my special occasion shoes but not anymore! As long as it's not supposed to rain, these babies are going to get loads of wear.


Oh, the power of basic solids! Not one thing I'm wearing matches but the colors all go together so the whole outfit works.


 I also took the opportunity to try out Jen's snood style from the A Vintage Vanity / Lisa Freemont Street collaboration. And wow, it turned out great! Who would have thought that my fine short hair could do such a huge voluminous 40s style like this one!


The secret is stand up pin curls, volumizing powder and back combing with an actual back combing brush. And a great tutorial, of course!


I did have to make one cheat though. This style is meant to give the look of rolls without the difficulty of actual rolls but my hair on the light side of the part was too short to pull it off! So I just substituted an actual roll instead.


Shhh! Don't tell Jen!


 Have you tried any new outfit combos or hair styles lately?

6 comments:

  1. Great mixes! Really great taste! I always look forward to more from your blog, it's great!
    I did try the Constance Bennett coiffure a little while back as mentioned on my blog, and I'm thinking of a few more styles as well as mixed up combinations!

    -Krystle! 1930slife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this outfit Stephanie! I am a sucker for collared crochet/knit sweaters, they are just so pretty!

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look lovely. Accessories really do the trick with an outfit like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love how you styled your top Stephanie! The little bow really is a lovely finishing touch; I can see how it totally transforms this top. And your hair style is awesome. I feel the need to try it out as I don't wear snoods very often because of the difficulty I have styling them. Thanks for sharing that tutorial. :) ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic outfit! I love the wee black bow. It adds such a fun touch of sweetness and glamour alike.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete