Monday, November 9, 2015

Polka Dot Do Over

I adore polka dots! They are so much fun and can really be dressed up or down. Plus polka dots are a hubby approved print so it's a win win in my book.


White with blue polka dots! Navy and white has become my go to color combo. They look great together and since they are both neutrals, you can pair them with pretty much any other color.


This skirt started out as a very cute polka dot dress. But as with any off the rack woven dress, it had some fit issues in the bodice. Between the fit issues and the fact that my bra always showed under the arms, it didn't get worn nearly as much as it should.


 So I did a quick refashion to turn it into a skirt! I just needed a waist band which I made from the bodice fabric. I was even able to salvage the original zipper so the only thing I needed was some interfacing for the waist band.


I also decided to take advantage of the fact that I was taking this dress apart and added pockets. Everything is better with pockets! The remainder of the bodice yielded the fabric for the pockets. Pockets take surprisingly a lot of fabric so I did end up having to piece one of the pockets.


Pockets and twirling are full of win! I've actually worn this skirt a ton since finishing the refashion. It feels so good to give something new life in my closet.


 And I get loads of compliments when I wear it. I guess everyone else loves polka dots too. :D


I feel like this piece really speaks to my style. The overall shape and length say elegant but the print and pockets are all fun and whimsy! There's nothing like wearing clothes that make you feel like you!


I also added my Star Wars rebel necklace for a bit of nerd flair. While I was at work, it occurred to me that this would be a great R2D2 Disney bound. I just need a pair of R2D2 Mickey ears.


 I'll have to keep that in mind for my next Disney adventure. I have gobs of ideas for Disney bounds. It's such a fun thing to do!


What's your thoughts on polka dots? Are they full of win or just too much?

4 comments:

  1. Great that you were able to refashion it to suit you. Everybody does love polkadots!! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice refashion! Adding pockets was quite clever. I live on the West coast, and have a Disneyland AP. It's lots of fun to be creative with Disney bounding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOO! The R2D2 Disney bound would be so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a classic, deeply lovely outfit. I adore polka dots, too, and really appreciate how they be everything from sweet to chic, just pending on their size and/or colours.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete