Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Fashion and Film: Kiss Me Kate

Kiss Me Kate (1953) combines three of my favorite things-musicals, 50s fashion, and Shakespeare! Starring Kathryn Grayson, Howard Keel, and Ann Miller, this film follows the scuffles of a divorced couple (Grayson and Keel) who are putting on a musical version of 'The Taming of the Shrew' along with a beautiful young dancer (Miller) who, like character she plays, has no trouble attracting male attention. I do love this film, partially because I love Shakespeare! I particularly like 'The Taming of the Shrew' because I starred in a play based on it when I was in middle school. (Fun fact: I acted up through high school.)

Besides some Shakespearean costumes (I find vintage period films intriguing), there are some delightful off stage 50s costumes that are quite dreamy.

Miller and Grayson face off. I just adore Grayson's hat!

Another shot of the black outfit and hat! Plus she's got fur!

I also adored this yellow ensemble. I think it is a dressing gown as she's wearing it in the dressing room, but it'd also make a cute wrap dress. I am in need of a dressing gown or house coat. I love lounging around the house in my robe but it is getting kind of sad looking. :(

I usually pair my pink with brown but this gray and pink ensemble is so lovely! Check out the coordinating hat and purse.

This polka dot and scallop dress is by far my favorite! Love the hat too!

See, it has a scalloped underskirt too!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, the clothing in fantastic! Thankyou for the post, I do believe I'll try and find some similar outfits or create some!

    ReplyDelete