Thursday, April 28, 2011

Wardrobe Refashion in Review: Made by Me

Since I'm approaching the end of my Wardrobe Refashion (t-minus 11 days and counting!) I thought I'd do some reflection on the whole experience. I've not been very good at marking everything Wardrobe Refashion related, but I'll try to collect everything in a few posts as I'm thinking it's going to take more than one. Today I wanted to walk through the pieces I've made and think about how much of a success they are.

1. Wearing History Smooth Sailing Blouse

I love this blouse! It's so cute! The sleeve cuffs are a bit tight but not too tight that I can't wear it. I'm planning on making another blouse from this pattern soon.

2. Dress to Skirt Refashion

I have not worn this yet. :( I think it's just not my style anymore. Plus I don't really have any tops to wear with it! (Thanks to all who responded to my Blouse Quest post. I think I'm going to go with the Pendrell Blouse and have some fun with it later this summer.)

3. Wearing History Smooth Sailing Pants

These were super easy to make! The main issue is they ended up a bit baggy in the hip/backside area so I had to take the zipper out and take them in. Voila! Pants that fit. Then I lost 10 lbs (woot!) and they are baggy again. So I'm thinking that I'm going to wait till I'm off my weight loss kick and then fit them. Summers coming soon anyways, right?

4. McCall 5438 (My first vintage pattern!)

I learned a ton from making this pattern-pattern tracing, adjusting a single size pattern to fit my body, and self-covered buttons! It's really cute, although I think it ended up being a bit short. I sort of feel like a vintage ice skater in it. I may try it again in a different fabric.

5. Sew Serendipity Coat

I love this coat and wear it all the time now that it's not 20 out. I always get tons of compliments on it. :) I'm toying with lining it since it looks a bit messy on the inside.

6. Sew Serendipity skirt

Love this skirt! Again, I need to get a top to wear with it. Too many of my tops don't look good with skirts. :/ I actually have fabric already to make another version. This may be my go to skirt pattern.

7. 1940's Swing Dress

*sigh* I still don't know how to fix this dress. I'm seriously considering taking the top off and making it a skirt. I don't think I'll be able to fix it. It's been hanging wit my other unfinished projects since I took it off after this photo shoot. Must do better muslins! Lesson learned.

8. Runway Show outfit

I liked this outfit a lot when I made it, but it too has a couple of issues that keep me from wearing it often. The skirt has a sheen that makes it a bit dressy for day. I did a zig zag finish on the blouse and it came out rather itchy. I plan on doing some bias binding on the seams now that I know how to do it properly.

9. *in progress* Peacock Dress

This project is going great! I've been trying to focus on doing things correctly rather than just doing things quickly. It's paying off really well here. Just need to finish the hem and make a belt.

10. *in progress* Bow Blouse

Don't think I've ever blogged about this one as I don't have any photos of it, but this was my first experience sewing with a knit and it's coming along ok. Some of the seams look a bit wonky, but not that bad. It needs buttons but I keep forgetting to pick some up.

11. *in progress* Butterfly Dress

No pictures of this either, but I'm making Simplicity 2549 for this week's Sew Weekly Challenge. I'd love to finish it tonight but I'll probably have to work on it some more tomorrow. I had to make significant changes to the top of this pattern and I didn't make a muslin so fingers crossed that it works! I have most of the bodice complete and so far so good.

13 pieces in 4 months! Woot! I definitely did a lot of sewing these last four months and learned tons! Hopefully the next four months will have even more successes!

No comments:

Post a Comment