Thursday, October 4, 2012

Anise Muslin 1

You may have spied a new button in my side bar:


I'm participating in the Colette Pattern's Anise Sew-Along. For my first muslin I cut a size 6, did a 1/2" FBA and took 1/2 off each side seam at the waist for a bit more shaping.


Muslin #1 over a sweater. So far I know that the shoulders are too wide. I'm going to try a real narrow should adjustment instead of just lopping some off! It's a bit tight in the chest so I'm going to do a slightly larger FBA even though I don't usually do such a large FBA.


The side-looking pretty good except for some back wrinkles.


More back wrinkles. Not sure what to do about those. Swayback adjustment???

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I think you may need a swayback adjustment. I'm not sure you need too much of a shoulder adjustment. With the 5/8" seam allowance, it may sort itself out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Yes, my immediate thought was a swayback adjustment also.

    I'm in 100% agreement with Sarah, I think the 5/8 seam allowance at the shoulder may be perfect for sorting out the wide shoulder seam issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, swayback adjustment - just pinch out the wrinkle, and that's the amount to reduce.

    If you want it to look like the original, you should reduce the shoulder width. Also, it's hard to see because of the collar, but the shoulder slope looks a little steep? If you have square shoulders you might want to raise the slope.

    It's worth doing real pattern adjustments if you want to make the pattern again in the future, the fittings go SO much faster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back wrinkles aren't always swayback. Check to make sure it's not too snug over your hips; that will push it up and create wrinkles. Also, one potential difficulty with curving in the side seams is that now the side seams are a little longer at the waist. That can result in a snugger fit at the high high, leading to back wrinkles as the muslin is pushed up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute pattern. I bet it would be adorable with some extra length as a winter coat!

    ReplyDelete