Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Renaissance Festival

Saturday my hubby and I went to the Renaissance Festival and I wore the dress I made! It was such a blast and much more enjoyable than my last visit when I didn't dress up. We arrived just as the fair opened and there were tons of people in costume there to greet us. My husband got a little flack for not being dressed up but I only had time to make one costume.




The first thing we did was make sure to get some pictures of my outfit so we didn't forget. I was really happy with the way it turned out. I got quite a few compliments on it throughout the day and that made it all worth it. I wore my snood, which worked out great as it was still pretty hot here. It stayed in all day with just 3 bobby pins and having my hair off of my neck was so nice!


Not ten minutes after we arrived, I was serenaded by a minstrel, who sang me my own personal love song. How cool is that! I was a little embarrassed but I got over it.


My husband was super excited to play with weapons! There were several places selling swords and he seriously considered buying one. He did test quite a few of them out though. Also, there were several booths where you could throw weapons and that was an opportunity no man could miss. He threw axes, knives and gladiuses (gladiui?). Archery and spear throwing were also on the to do list. I got to step behind the camera and take some shots of my own.


We saw a pyro juggler and a pirate stunt show, but didn't get to make it to the jousting. :(


There was a lot of fabulous merchandise too! Some, like this blacksmith, even worked while you watched! I ended up getting a chain mail necklace (which I forgot to get pictures of) and a psaltery, which is a stringed instrument kind of like a cross between a harp and a guitar.


Another highlight of the day was seeing a wedding party go by. The bride and groom were so cute driving by in their Renaissance finery!

We also sampled the honey mead and did a wine tasting. Between being an alcohol lightweight and not drinking enough water that day, I did start feeling a bit under the weather and ended up changing into street clothes for most of the afternoon, but I didn't let it ruin my day!

Thanks for reading! I promise to get back to more vintage posts for a while.

4 comments:

  1. A festival with weapons? What man wouldn't be there! Your dress looks great. It also looks like you had a great time.

    ♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to find some posts about the new Ren. dress you're making, but only came up with this one. It looks very pretty! Did you use a pattern?
    I am trying to convince my boyfriend to dress up too, if I have time to make him a costume. He said "I want to see the Ren Faire, not BE the Ren Faire!" Which actually was pretty funny, but I still disagree.

    ReplyDelete