Thursday, December 19, 2013

HSF 2014

With a new year of Historical Sew Fortnightly just around the corner, I've been thinking about what I want to focus on. With the inclusion of 1938-1945 for next year, I'm sure there will be some early 40s sewing but my Elizabethan court dress needs some major work.

When I first made this dress, I was 30 lbs heavier and not nearly as good of a seamstress. I decided that the easiest thing would be to completely scrap the current bodice and start from scratch. I've already made two corsets for this dress and I really want to wear it with my new wool kirtle since it gives me such a good shape.

First, I drafted a new pattern from my kirtle pattern. I shortened it since my kirtle is a bit long in the waist, added a point in the front to match the original design of the bodice.

Next I added a bit of boning in the same locations as the original bodice-three on the front and one on each of the back pieces.

Next, I'll be using more period construction techniques to make the bodice and then I'll make hand sewn eyelets.


  1. woah, amazing this dress
    xo Fräulein K.

  2. Wow! This is stunning! I can't wait to see your improvements!


  3. That dress has always stolen my breath away, as I'm sure the revamped version will, too.

    ♥ Jessica