Monday, September 8, 2014

Major Fail

It's easy to be overawed by sewing feats created by great seamstresses. But sometimes well all have major fails. And today, that major fail belongs to me.


I've been working on my Italian striped dress. I posted some trim anxiety on Facebook and Instagram earlier this week. Eventually, I decided to purchase some thinner, green ribbon to do the trim with instead of the wider black ribbon I originally purchased. And I'm quite happy with the switch.


I got cocky and didn't try the dress on till this weekend. (Also lazy because getting yourself into a side back lacing dress alone is a pain in the butt.) And it's about 2 inches too small. I measured and it's 1/2" smaller than my support layer. Eeep! After you add wearing ease (plus my waist usually gapes a bit on the support layer), it's just not going to happen.


Luckily, I had enough fabric to remake the back piece. I'll have to start from scratch, remove the trim, take the back piece off, make a slew of all new eyelets and sew everything back together. In the end, I know I'll be happier especially since the old back had the trim going over a pair of eyelets. But it's going to be so much work!

To give myself a pick me up, I did a bit of retail therapy at the Ren Fest this weekend.


I purchased this pretty pearl necklace for costuming! 


I also picked up this cute ring! It's hard to find a period appropriate ring. I really wanted a gold ring but I'm pretty happy with this one.


 And the last bit of costuming fabulousness is Patterns of Fashion 3 by Janet Arnold. I have a serious case of must sew all of the things right now!!!!!! I have plenty WIPs to finish first.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, no! Boo on sewing fails!!! I do love your new jewellery :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made similar mistakes before :/ Love your fabric choice though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's okay, dear gal - we all have "fails" like that sometimes. I can't think of a single craft or hobby or anything really, for that matter, that I've done for any amount of time and not failed spectacularly with at least once or twice.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete